Frequently Asked Questions

Adventure Thailand Teen Community Service Tour

How old are the teenagers on Adventure Thailand?

Our participants are currently in 9th – 11th grade.

How many teenagers will be in my group?

Adventure Thailand accommodates up to 24 teenagers.

Can I bring my cell phone?

Yes, you can bring your cell phone. We do, though, have certain policies that are enforced during the program. Cell phones can not be used during community service, visits to cultural sites, and during cultural activities. We also prefer cell phones not be used during meal times. We recommend you speak with your service provider regarding international calling plans.

Who are the counselors?

We hire adults who are fun, energetic, and share our passion for giving back. This past year the average age of our counselors was 27 years-old and many come from backgrounds in education. The counselors work side-by-side with our teenagers at the volunteer projects, participate in all cultural and adventure activities, and are always available to lend a hand, no matter the reason. Our staff undergoes professional training and skill development during orientation meetings prior to the summer.

What if I get sick while in Thailand and Cambodia?

The medical facilities we utilize are fairly advanced and are found in each location we visit throughout the program. For any situation that requires medical attention, your parents will be notified as soon as possible and a counselor will take you to a nearby clinic or hospital. Your parents are kept up to date on developments after any medical visit. If you are unable to participate in a day’s activities, a counselor of the same-sex will stay at our hotel with you.

I’m a picky eater. Will I be able to find enough to eat?

The food in both Thailand and Cambodia is plentiful, diverse, and fresh! We can satisfy the pickiest of eaters and we are happy to discuss your individual requirements with you before the summer.

How do you handle allergies and special dietary needs?

We are able to accommodate teenagers who have allergies and dietary needs. Prior to the summer, all participants are required to complete a detailed medical history. If you have a particular allergy, please call the Rein Teen Tours office so we can discuss an allergy action plan.

What if I don’t feel comfortable doing a certain activity while in Thailand or Cambodia?

Our counselors encourage each participant to have an open mind and a willingness to try new things. We will never pressure you, though, to do anything that you do not feel comfortable with.

What should I pack?

Both Thailand and Cambodia are in tropical environments, so clothing that is light and breathable works best. We run a very casual program, so think shorts, lightweight pants, t-shirts, flip-flops, and sneakers. It is also important to know that modest clothing is required to enter cultural sites and temples (shoulders and chest must be covered and no clothing that is form-fitting!). Each participant receives a detailed packing list prior to the summer, so you’ll know exactly what to bring!

How does laundry work?

Once per week we drop everyone’s laundry at a local laundromat. By the next day, your clothing is nicely clean and folded.

Will I receive any type of acknowledgment that I volunteered this summer?

At the conclusion of your program we will send a certificate documenting the number of hours completed along with a letter explaining how you earned those hours. We are also happy to help with any paperwork or documentation that may be required by your school.

What kind of transportation is used throughout the trip?

We use professionally driven vans and coach buses, depending on the length of the drive.

Do I need a passport or visa to enter Thailand and Cambodia?

A valid passport is required to enter both countries. To be valid, the expiration date of your passport should be at least six months after the planned date of return. A visa is not required for a U.S. citizen to enter Thailand, but a visa is required to enter Cambodia. Prior to the summer we ask each participant to send us two passport-size photos and we take care of obtaining the visa upon arrival in Cambodia. Please note that requirements can change at any time for reasons beyond our control and it is the responsibility of the traveler to verify appropriate documentation.

What vaccinations do I need for Thailand and Cambodia?

Rein Teen Tours does not require special vaccinations in order for you to attend the program. You should be up-to-date, though, with your routine vaccines. We also recommend that you follow the guidelines of the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and consult with either a physician who specializes in international travel or with your family physician. Prior to the summer we will provide a summary of the CDC recommendations.